Moving your business or home can be hard enough without the added stress of trying to figure out how to move some of your things to a storage unit for long term storage.
Businesses also use storage for inventory, furniture, or materials they don’t have sufficient room for during periods of growth, seasonal challenges, or when remodeling.
If you work from a home office or are a road warrior, you can use a storage address for deliveries or even work out of some locations like an office. IBM rented units in Houston that field technicians used to make phone calls, store parts, and do paperwork in.
If you plan to store small items, consider adding metal shelves or bookcases to make access easier. Make sure you check the days and hours of access. Some are always accessible, but many are not.
Check out this video for additional ideas on how small businesses use storage units:
There is a vast selection of facilities and different pricing models available. While this article can’t solve the cost of storage, it will help you to plan for a more successful move. By following these 10 easy steps, you can alleviate the stress of moving and enjoy a more relaxed move, free from the common headaches.
1. Choose the right location and unit size for your needs. Make sure the location of the storage facility is within a comfortable drive from your home or business. Also, make sure that you know what you’ll be storing ahead of time so that you know the minimum size of the storage unit you will require.
2. Plan how you’ll move your things to the storage facility. Will you rent a truck or a van or just take it over using your own vehicle or a friend’s?
3. Check that you have enough packing materials to store the items you’re transporting to the storage facility. You can utilize a combination of boxes that you already have and buy additional boxes at a shipping or storage company.
4. Take larger pieces apart so that they transport more easily and fit into the storage unit once you arrive. Box all other smaller items so that they don’t get lost in the move. Wrap breakables with newspaper or cloth and keep them towards the top of the boxes and on top of heavier items. Don’t pack lots of heavy items into the same box.
5. Label all of your boxes clearly with a permanent marker so that when you come back to get them, you can find what you need quickly and easily.
6. Clean out any appliances that you may be storing and tape the doors shut so they don’t open up on you during the transportation or lifting of them during the move.
7. Load your largest items into your truck, van or vehicle first. Then make sure to secure any heavy or large items so that they don’t shift, slide or crash during transport.
8. Once at the storage unit, don’t stack heavy boxes on top of lighter boxes to avoid crushing. Store all appliances with the doors wedged open.
9. Leave an aisle to walk through so that you can get to the back of your unit if you need to get something out from the back at a later date.
10. Place a dust sheet over all your items once you’re finished to keep them in good shape while they’re in storage.
This list will help you to alleviate stress while moving your items to a storage unit. Check out Loknstore.co.uk for other great tips about storage lockers or if you’re in the U.K. to get a great deal on your next storage locker.
By following these 10 easy steps for moving your things to a storage unit, you’ll be in better shape than others who don’t prepare. By following this checklist, you’ll also make sure that you don’t forget a few key steps!
You know how difficult moving is without help, so think about how you would feel if you asked someone to help you move and they did not. But if you must make an excuse, at least be original. Try this “Random Excuse Generator“.
Latest posts by Gail Gardner (see all)
- Mastering Google Analytics FREE eCourses + Google Analytics 360? [Infographic] - September 9, 2021
- How an Accessible Website Can Accelerate Business Growth - September 7, 2021
- 3 Surprising Ways Technology is Taking Over Healthcare [Infographics] - August 31, 2021