Favicons are those tiny images (16×16) shown in your browser tabs:
In the screen capture above you can see our new Favicon followed by one for Adam Singer‘s blog The Future Buzz and Andy Beard‘s blog AndyBeard.eu. Favicons can be created from almost any image file type (.jpg .gif .png .bmp) and are saved as the .ico file type.
Every Web site should seriously consider having a distinctive Favicon created that matches their Avatar and Distinctive Business Logo. You can use one of the Favicon generation tools below to create one from an existing image and the Favicon WordPress plugins to install it on your site. The process is similar for installing Favicons in Non-WordPress sites.
FREE FAVICON GENERATORS:
- HTMLkit Favicon Generator – recommended by Mikael from Retire Rich – creates still and animated favicons from regular images
- Dynamic Drive Favicon Generator – create a Favicon from an existing image [input images: gif, jpg, png, and bmp]
- FaviconGenerator – create a Favicon from an existing image [simple – no options – square images only]
- Favicon-Generator – create a Favicon from an existing image [input images: gif, jpg, png – few options]
- ProDraw Favicon Generator – create a Favicon from an existing image [Supports JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP and TIF file formats for uploading. Output size from 16×16 pixels (favicon.ico icon size), 32×32 (desktop icon), 48×48 (large XP icon) up to 128×128 pixels (Windows Vista icon size) in the *.ICO icon format.]
- Favicon CC – create Favicons in a paint type program
WORDPRESS FAVICON PLUGINS:
- Shockingly Simple Favicon – plugin to add a Favicon to a WP site without editing Theme files
- Plugin to Add Favicons to Blogrolls in WordPress