Links are very important in terms of online visibility. They play an important role in how a website will perform in SERPs and how a website will be found through search engines. This means, every single link can make a website perform well or it can hurt the overall performance of a website if its link profile is not pure of low quality and spammy links.
Back in the old school days of SEO, quantity of links did matter and in order to build links, many SEOs used to perform aggressive link building to increase the link popularity of a website through article and web directory submissions.
This form of manipulative practice and mindset of many SEO practitioners became very popular and drastically abused by many SEOs which triggered the father of search (Google) to take action and put an end to this behavior by rolling out their spam filter algorithms.
In the ERA of quality (in terms of content, website and links), the quantity of links doesn’t matter. Therefore, if your SEO approach is to build links aggressively, you are only digging your website a grave where no one will ever be able to find it through organic results which is going to be a huge failure. So forget about the quantity and let’s focus on the quality which is the real key player of the game.
Focus on what will earn Links
Earned links are much more valuable and trusted by search engines than links that you have built. Also, this makes the linking content, video or infographic become viral. This can be powerful and useful to its target readers.
Quality content helps a website receive continuous qualified traffic from different channels from links created by other people. Any of your informative work (infographic, video or content) can attract links in their newly created publication related to yours. This type of earned link gives a strong and positive signal to the website which I also consider as a free marketing promotion.
How to Earn Links?
1. Start by identifying the needs of your audience – Given the fact that you already have your target audience in mind, you need to make sure that you will get their attention and drive them to your website. Whether your content is in the form of an infograhpic, webinar, or a short recorded video, content that comprehensively meets the demands of your target audience is best. (infographic image)
2. Create a resource page on your website – The most essential freebies that you can give away to your target audience is to provide them a complete list of your compelling resources within your website. This could be a list of your remarkable articles, case-studies etc.
3. Create a list of professional interviews – Produce a list of interviews with highly respected individuals within your industry and put them altogether on a page of your website where your readers will easily find whenever they visit your website to learn something new and to get to know more those respected people. This page-asset of your website will not only earn incoming links but also will receive tons of traffic to your website in the long run.
Image Credit: DigitalPhilippines.net
Contribute on trusted websites
Sharing your knowledge in a form of content, infographic, document or video presentation on another website will increase your online exposure, especially if the website hosting your contributed post is authority and trusted website by search engines which means, no unnatural links, no useless content or anything do not give useful information to the audience. Focus on checking out the website domain authority using online tools to see if the website is worth linking to.
How to find trusted and quality websites?
1. Set up Google alerts– The best way for busy individuals to deliver them the information that they need on certain things is to have it delivered to their inbox wherever they are. Even if you are not on your computer, you will still be able to find prospect websites where you can become a contributor. This product of Google actually helps us save time and at the same time, providing us quality results that are related to search query.
2. Use a tool like opensiteexplorer – The most efficient way to identify the authoritativeness of a website is to check its domain authority. The higher domain authority a website you will find the better. Since pagerank can be manipulated, it is safer to depend on domain authority when identifying a website that you can use to become a regular contributor.
3. Get posted on .Edu sites – It is very common that .edu sites are highly trusted by search engines which means, this will definitely give you a powerful link that is much better than a thousand links coming from directories online. However, it is quite difficult to get published on .Edu sites or other authoritative websites as they are very picky on publishing a guest contributed content. But these resources might help you on finding quality websites that you can use with domain authority of 80-100 scale.
Build Quality Website and Quality links will follow
A lot of people are obsessed with link building and marketing of their website to increase their revenue, traffic and incoming links. But in the recent update of Google on their ranking factor of a website, it clearly says that they recommend on creating high quality website not links.
So if you spend the time creating your website with useful information from the meta data up to the content of your website, you will surely earn quality links as your reward from your visitors by using your website as a reference or just by simply promoting your website through social shares and bookmarks.
How to do this?
1. Make sure that your website is crawlable – A lot of people do want to make the design of their website impressive by using java script, iframe or flash and as a result, search engine crawlers find it difficult to crawl and index their website which is one of the mistakes that website owners practice.
2. Include in your website what people are going to search for – Be helpful to your target audience and provide them everything on your website. Be very detailed on the information as people always look for sustainable website that can provide their needs.
3. Be creative in providing meta data “title and description” of your pages – To get the attention of your target audience, be descriptive in meta title and description of your pages to help your website standout in SERP as it will be used by search engines when it comes to relevancy.
4. Create compelling content – To make your website standout among the competitors of your website, you need to be very creative and unique when writing for every pages of your website. Since it is what your readers will look at from the moment they enter your website, you need to be very competitive when it comes to the content of your website.
Joseph Gojo Cruz
Latest posts by Joseph Gojo Cruz (see all)
- Earn Links Through Your Website Asset - July 30, 2013
- Old Fashioned Link Building: Is it still effective? - April 30, 2013