Just as you are judged by your appearance and how you speak and conduct yourself in the offline world, in the online world you are judged by your website’s appearance.
It doesn’t matter if you offer great products, great prices, or both — if your website is out of date, shoddily constructed, or riddled with errors, the majority of your target market won’t give you the time of day.
Besides making sure you have a clean looking layout, up to date information, and an accurate spell-checker, here are five additional tips that you’ll want to use as a checklist of sorts before launching a new website:
1) Keep your content up to date. Whether you use automated content management tools or do things manually, make sure you update product descriptions, stock, and prices – try to check in on content at least once a week so that out-of-date information is never a problem.
2) Check up on outgoing links to make sure they’re still valid. Websites can be redirected or taken down at a moment’s notice, so make sure all of your links are working – and without a second thought, remove any that don’t.
3) Ask a colleague or friend to go over your website for grammatical errors, even if you’ve already done so. A fresh set of eyes may spot the one glaring error your tired eyes managed to overlook. Some of the companies that offer web design and hosting services may also offer proofreading and editing services, so you can also outsource this type of project for a nominal fee.
4) Keep your scripts up to date. Nothing makes a webmaster feel more foolish than having their website — or worse yet, the entire server their website is hosted on — brought down due to an outdated script that a few clicks would have fixed.
5) Know when to ask for help. Just as Rome wasn’t built in a day, no single person can do everything on their own. Enlist the help of friends, co-workers, or family members to help with adding content, editing photos, or uploading media.
Latest posts by Dana Davis (see all)
- How to Get Your Customers to Pay Faster - September 6, 2017
- 7 Tips for Attracting Consumers to Your Small Business - September 1, 2017
- 5 Ways Small Business Owners Can Motivate Themselves - May 22, 2017