Regular readers of GrowMap will be happy to know that Derek turned on WP 2.7 threaded comments. For those who may be interested in using this feature here is some information on who can immediately use this particular method of allowing specific comments to be answered.
In his excellent post Seven Great Examples of Using WP 2.7 Threaded Comments Jeff Chandler at Performancing shared this:
“With the public release of WordPress 2.7, end users now have the ability to enable threaded conversations to take place on their blog. However, your theme must support this ability before you can turn them on.”
Some free and advanced themes already support this feature and many others will not. If yours doesn’t read How to Implement Threaded Comments in WordPress Themes for how to tell if your Theme supports it and what to do if it doesn’t. If you need more assistance visit the WordPress Support Forum.
This is yet another reason we installed Thesis and why I recommend serious bloggers consider doing the same. WordPress and plugins get updated all the time and every change is another potential technical issue. By using Thesis we know that our theme is supported and fixes for any issue will be provided.
Every theme can be customized and all features can have a different look. The Seven Great Examples post mentioned above shows just a few of the changes you can make. I wonder how many new bloggers realize that the look of a site is laid on top of the Theme being used so every implementation of any feature or Theme can look totally different. For example, all of these sites are built on Thesis:
- GrowMap – The blog you’re reading now.
- NoBogies Golf Store and Blog
- PSP Living – Minimal design changes so far as it is brand new
- Threaded Web
No matter which theme you are currently using as soon as you start getting a large number of comments you will wish you had threaded comments installed. If your theme does not support the new WP 2.7 version you can use a plugin, contact the theme designer and ask if they’re planning to add support, or – if you’re the do-it-yourself type – use the links we have provided in this post to add it.
If you are considering upgrading your theme we can highly recommend Thesis. Most of the major blogs about blogging that we frequent have selected it as “THE” Theme to use including these:
- ProBlogger – @ProBlogger – Excellent review of the support and benefits of Thesis
- CopyBlogger – @CopyBlogger – Details on Thesis WordPress Theme
- Michael Gray – @GrayWolf – GrayWolf’s Wolf-Howl SEO Blog – His Take on the Benefits of Thesis
INTERVIEW WITH THESIS THEME DESIGNER CHRIS PEARSON:
NEGATIVE REVIEWS OF THESIS:
MORE THESIS REVIEWS:
- SugarRae – @SugarRae – Review of the Thesis WordPress Theme
- PremiumThemesReview – Thesis WordPress Theme Review
- Binary Turf @BinaryTurf – Thesis WordPress Theme – A Critical Take
- Logos for WebSites – Recommends Thesis WordPress Template
- I’m sure I’ve forgotten some in my niche so if I forgot you don’t stress – just let me know and I’ll add your link
Since we’re on the subject you might be interested in checking out all the cool blogs that are based on Thesis. Here are two galleries you can visit to see more customized Thesis themes:
- Thesis WordPress Theme Showcase Gallery – Almost 200 sites – all very different – based on Thesis
- Thesis Gallery Showcase – Here are 46 featured sites (some are on both lists).
- Official Thesis Web Site – Disclaimer: This link contains OUR affiliate link as does the yellow ad in the left column of our blog.
[NOTE: Any blogger using Thesis probably has an affiliate link to Thesis so if decide to buy it you can support your favorite blogger by clicking on the link in their blog just before you buy. It does not cost you any more money to do this and bloggers are using it because it is that good – not because they might receive a commission. ]
UPGRADE YOUR COMMENT SECTION:
- Video Tutorial: Styling Threaded Comments
- Disqus versus WP 2.7 Threaded Comments Versus IntenseDebate
- WordPress 2.7 Comments Enhancements
WP PLUGINS FOR THREADED COMMENTS:
- Official WordPress Plugins Search for All Threaded Comments Plugin Options
- Brian’s Threaded Comment Plugin – Best known and widely used; however, not appearing in the search of the WP list.
- WordPress Thread Comment Plug-in
CUSTOMIZING THESIS WORDPRESS THEME:
- 4 Great Ways to Customize a Thesis Theme
Latest posts by Gail Gardner (see all)
- Never EVER Use HughesNet Satellite ISP - May 19, 2018
- Powerful Keyword Research: the Key to Attracting More Traffic - April 5, 2018
- Making Money with Your Blog – Part 1 – Understanding Affiliate Programs - August 25, 2017