Click the image above or this link to visit the RNIB Talking Books library.
NATIONAL BOOK DAYS, WEEKS & MONTHS*
*Note: there is often no consensus on which day these events are celebrated. They can also vary by country.
- World Book Days by country
- January is National Book Month
- Third full week in January is National Book Week
- Last full week in January is Celebrity Read a Book Week
- February 23 – Printed Book Day
- March 2 – Unesco World Book Day
- March 2 – UK World Book Day
- March 28 – Children’s Picture Book Day
- April 2 – International Children’s Book Day
- April 16 – Book-of-the-Month Club Birthday
- April 22 – Instant Book Day
- April 23 – World Book Days by country
- June is AudioBook Month
- September is National Literacy Month
- September is when the annual 2 day National Book Festival is held
- American Library Association (ALA) Banned Book Week is the last week of September
- October is National Book Month per National Book Foundation
- October is National Information Literacy Awareness Month
- First full week in October is Great Books Week
- December is Read a New Book Month
Have you seen our Resources for Librarians?
Includes links to Library Blogs and ways to promote your library.
If you know of any others that should be added or have links to information on any of the above do please leave them in the comments.
Your comment may go into moderation, but I WILL see it and add your information to this post along with a thank you link to a site you prefer.
PROMOTE LITERACY PROJECTS:
Librarians in the northeast U.S. have been using a unique method of promoting summer reading programs that I believe would work just as well for promoting how to use the library for research during the school year.
Sixty-two libraries have hired the Comedy Magician and Educational Entertainer for Kids Domino the Great who uses humor, magic tricks, and audience participation to get kids excited about books, reading, and their local library.
Will that work? Watch this short (42 second) video review of Herkimer County Librarian Jacque Empey of the Jordanville Library in Jordanville, NY:
Did you catch this important point in that video?:
Domino “did a tremendous job promoting reading, the importance of books, the importance of the library, in a way that was fun, everybody had a good time, everybody checked out a whole lot of books, so if you want to promote your library, I would highly recommend Domino to come and do a show at YOUR library.”
This is the kind of promotion that is necessary to bring young people into libraries at a young age to show them how books and librarians can benefit them.
Few children will seek you out themselves – you MUST bring them in – and hiring someone like Domino (@DominotheGreat on Twitter) is one way to do it.
Do YOU have other ideas?
Strategies that have worked for your library?
Please do share them in the comments of this post and I will move them up into this section. Relevant links are ALWAYS welcome here so do please include links to blog posts, media and any other additional information.
Latest posts by Gail Gardner (see all)
- Internet Business Insights Book: FREE Success Tips from 102 Entrepreneurs - July 9, 2017
- DirJournal Offers 25% Discount on Permanent Listings and Free Listings in 6 Partner Directories - June 22, 2017
- DirJournal 10th Anniversary: Win Cash, Free Listings, iPhone 7 Plus #giveaway Ends Midnight 6/12/17 - June 12, 2017