One of the most important things EVERY blog or Web site should have is an incentive offer to encourage readers and new visitors to subscribe to your mailing list. I have known since I built my very first site in the mid-1990s how important building a list is – but as you can clearly see – I still haven’t managed to get that done.
Building a list is the very first step you
must take if you want to monetize your blog!
Why not you may ask? I am surprised more bloggers have not taken me to task for this glaring omission on my part. The simple reason is I simply do not know how and have not made the time to figure it out. You can tell how serious a blogger is about making money with their blog by how well they accomplish this one task.
Ivin Viljoen (@Authopublisher on Twitter), who writes about self-publishing and has guest posted on GrowMap more than once, guest posted on Zac Johnson offering his Blog Report Mentoring Program. I wrote this comment about why even experienced bloggers are often not building lists:
While self-publishing now seems simple TO YOU, there are several reasons I haven’t done it yet and those reasons are also why other bloggers don’t. Here are some of those reasons:
- We don’t know how – this is the big one!
- You have to know how to upload whatever you want to offer – many bloggers don’t know how to do that.
- You have to know how to get your offer to appear in your sidebar – many bloggers don’t know how to do that either.
- You need to choose an autoresponder and know how to set it up. Again, we don’t know how.
- You need something to manage your list. I’ve narrowed that down to FeedBlitz or AWeber and those I’ve asked say AWeber is far easier to figure out and use.
- You need to be able to cover the overhead of having a subscription services which, although minimal, requires a consistent source of money and a way to pay for it.
- This stops many – especially those in other countries with exchange rates that make USD expensive. (This will change as the dollar keeps sliding.)
- You have to have some kind of software or app or whatever to compile the ebook. While most of us have the content already, getting it into an ebook format is foreign to us. Once again, we don’t know how to do that.
As you can see the bottom line is this is a complicated process that requires many new skills we do not currently have OR a mentor. That is where you come in.
Fortunately for me and GrowMap, I was one of the winners of his Blog Mentoring Program and Ivin will be working with me to finally fix this major flaw in my blogging strategy. You’ll be hearing more about that hopefully very soon.
If you are another of the bloggers who has not managed to start building your list, check out Ivin’s Early Bird Offer On My Blog Report Mentoring Program. You can find out which other bloggers won and get more details about Ivin’s mentoring program by watching this video:
Latest posts by Gail Gardner (see all)
- Gardening Bloggers Helped Save Historic Landreth Heirloom Non-GMO Seed Company - April 15, 2017
- Gail Gardner @GrowMap Interview on Talent Talk Radio #Smallbiz - April 3, 2017
- How to Find and Work With Influencers - February 19, 2017