If Google isn’t Big Brother they’re doing a pretty good imitation. And escaping them is no easier than getting away from the Thought Police was for Winston. Once you understand how Google Web History works you’ll have a pretty good idea how all the others who are following us around work.
SOCIAL MEDIA PRIVACY:
LATEST GOOGLE PRIVACY ISSUE LINKS:
- Google Knows Where I Am and Everything Else I Do
- Google’s User Data Empire
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES on PROTECTING YOUR INTERNET PRIVACY:
- Six Tips to Protect Your Online Privacy
- Hello to Less Privacy – private cameras could be almost anywhere
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES on GOOGLE WEB SEARCH and Other Forms of GOOGLE TRACKING:
- Google’s Chrome – Even More Evil Big Brother – links to numerous articles on Chrome
- Google Claims Ownership of Everything You Create Using Chrome from emails to blog posts to Web sites. The public immediately outed the Chrome EULA (End User Legal Agreement) as incredibly greedy – even for Google – and Google immediately retracted it as an innocent Google EULA mistake. (Are you starting to see a pattern here?)
- Big Brother Google is Tracking You – One user shares graphs showing her Internet usage (which is not accurate by the way if you leave multiple tabs or windows open for hours on end).
- Google and Other Search Engines Are Tracking Your Every Move – If you don’t read any other links do check this one out. It starts out simple to understand and straight to the point and then offers some ways to escape being followed.
- Google Almost Has a Monopoly on US! – Plenty of easy to understand information on what Google is doing and why many have concerns with it.
- Gray Wolf: Google Web History: More Spying From Google – comments from one of the sharpest of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) bloggers – and a brilliant man of integrity too.
- Google Patents Detecting, Tracking and Targeting Kids
- Bug in Google Desktop Forces You To Give Data to the Borg – More from GrayWolf to help us all notice that Google is not the innocent “Don’t be evil” folks they claim to be.
- Tim Anderson’s ITWriting: Why I’m Not Using Google Web History
- Google Web History? I’ll Pass, Thanks
- Wirelessness Thoughts on Google Web History – Contains short descriptions of various Google offerings and some of their privacy issues. Don’t miss his insights on gmail tying you to a phone number. (I predict free Google phones are coming.)
- Google Web History and How to Turn It Off – see comments section for posts regarding Google enabling Web History even if you did NOT enable it. That information has been deleted (or possibly moved somewhere I haven’t found yet) from the official Google FAQ
- Google Web History for Bookmarking and Monitoring
- Google Web History: Give Google Your Entire Browsing History
- Google Cuts Data Retention Time in Half
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES ON ONLINE DATA MINING:
- EFF Suing AT&T for Spying to Sue Government Too
WHO ELSE IS TRACKING YOU AND YOUR VISITORS?:
- Beware: Big Brother is Here – on the dangers of storing everything online
- Using MyBlogLog Could Get You Banned From AdSense
- Yahoo Owns MyBlogLog – Google Owns AdSense
- If Google Can’t Count Why Would I Count On Them
- Open Yahoo! Will Play Nice With Google, Not Compete
- AT&T and IBM Swap Divisions (Employees of each lose pensions and receive pay cuts.)
Latest posts by Gail Gardner (see all)
- ClickMeeting Provides a Creative and Simple Webinar Solution - September 23, 2016
- Simplilearn Digital Marketing Training: Get Qualified Now for High Paying In-Demand Jobs - August 5, 2016
- GetResponse Reveals Powerful New Online Marketing Tool Any SMB Can Afford - July 19, 2016