“Guest blogging is done”. So stated Matt Cutts in The Decay and Fall of Guest Blogging for SEO. Bad guest blogging IS most certainly dead. But properly done, we will all continue to guest blog.
Bad Guest Blogging
We all need to get very clear on why Matt Cutts claims “guest blogging is done”. Agencies are still doing what is clearly not wise to do. They are still getting their clients Penguined on purpose. Even after they’ve had it explained to them.
So as a business, blogger, or agency this is what you need to know:
- You can NOT just buy content and put links in the bio. Stop doing that.
- Do not buy content and put a sentence at the end that contains a link.
- Avoid putting content on sites that are not RELEVANT to what you do.
- Do not make the mistake of assuming the content you’ve published so far is the quality you must start producing.
- Stop writing content that your potential customers would not read!
Focusing on building links is doing guest blogging backwards.
Good Guest Blogging
Good guest blogging is content marketing. It is INBOUND marketing. The priority is on determining where your potential buyers are and what they want to know.
This is the process you should be using:
1) Decide on the Goal
[Hint: the goal is NOT LINKS!] The goal is increased sales or subscribers. Subscribers is the most realistic goal. To survive we must capture every visitor who lands on our site from any source and learn to send them what they want. Not a long email. Not something to read. Precisely what they want and will open.
2) Brainstorm Content Ideas
Stop writing content that has nothing to do with your business. No more posts about social media or marketing unless you are an integral example made part of that content.
What would your potential buyers want to read about or see? That is what you need to be writing and publishing where those potential buyers already are.
3) Words Alone Are NOT Enough
Stop just writing words. How would your potential buyers like to consume that content? Words alone aren’t enough. Your content must really pop using one or more of these in addition to words:
- Pinnable custom images
- Case Studies
- White Papers
4) Choose the Right Sites
You’ve created the perfect content. You know it will speak to your potential customers and entice them back to your site. Now you need to get it published on just the right site = the one where your potential buyers already are.
Find out how PostJoint ensures only the highest quality content for both the publishers (bloggers) and those who create it by reading their post (new today) Guest Blogging is NOT Dead.
Guest Blogging is NOT Dead
BAD guest blogging is dead. Real content marketing and inbound marketing using guest posting is alive and well and always will be because it is not about links.
In response to Matt Cutt’s post, Bill Hartzer wrote in Guest Blogging is NOT Dead:
“No, guest blogging is not dead. In fact, it’s alive and well, and it’s a great marketing tactic to open up your business and personal brand to opportunities and audiences that you normally would not have a chance to reach.”
Guest blogging is about visibility and attracting your potential customers back to your site and making them more aware of how you can assist them. Not continuing to do guest blogging would severely limit your businesses’ visibility, sales, and profits.
- NEW: Sugar Rae Google Propaganda SEO and Why Marketers Need to Wake Up
- NEW: Web Pro News republishes Sugar Rae’s post: Google Propaganda SEO and Why Marketers Need to Wake Up
- NEW: Danny Sullivan’s comment re: Matt Cutt’s post
- NEW: 13 Experts Reveal The Truth About Guest Blogging
- Entrepreneur.com: Yes, Guest Blog Posting is Still a Viable SEO Tactic for Growing Your Business
- Copyblogger: Matt Cutts Declares Guest Blogging “Done” … Are We All Screwed?
- Marketing Land: Google Clarifies: Guest Blogging Is OK, But “Guest Blogging For SEO” Is Not
- Discussions on Threadwatch.org
- Discussion on News.ycombinator.com
- Moz: Why Guest Posting and Blogging is a Slippery Slope – Whiteboard Friday
Rand Fishkin’s Whiteboard Friday Video: (see link above for post):
Latest posts by Gail Gardner (see all)
- Why Going Back to College to Learn Digital Marketing Is For Dinosaurs [Train in 6 Weeks; Get an iPAD Mini4] - October 5, 2016
- ClickMeeting Provides a Creative and Simple Webinar Solution - September 23, 2016
- Simplilearn Digital Marketing Training: Get Qualified Now for High Paying In-Demand Jobs - August 5, 2016