Your Newsletter Tastes Like Spam

This is a guest post from Small Business Advisor Vernessa Taylor, better known as @CoachNotesBlog on Twitter. Vernessa is the person I rely on for Linux remote technical support. (She does Windows, VOIP, and much more, too.)

Wouldn’t You Prefer The Sweet After-Taste of Spanakopita?

Your Newsletter Tastes Like Spam (Not Spanakopita)

Checking one of my overflowing email in-boxes, I encountered two email messages that led to this article. Neither one was marked as spam but both were from names I didn’t immediately recognize.

Not recognizing the name of the person sending me an email is not a reason to relegate it to the spam folder. In fact, those emails generally get my attention, get opened, then (maybe) get moved to the spam bin. (My filters are pretty aggressive, so if they didn’t catch it, it might be worthy of a look-see.)

This time, they not only piqued my interest, they piqued my ire.

One entrepreneur to another, I don’t mind newsletters, ezines, online magazines . . . or whatever you call yours.

Don’t Get The Wrong Idea . . .

• I believe in autoresponse systems as a method of automating communications with visitors and customers.
  • I love the idea of marketing (especially email marketing), and both online and offline promotion — when done tastefully.
  • And I don’t mind affiliate links to useful products or personal recommendations where you have a relationship with the provider.

Neither do I mind referring you and whatever you’re offering so long as you’re reputable and what you’re offering makes sense for my own clients, visitors, and friends. (And if you have a customer referral system in place, some rewards, or kudos, I really, really won’t mind.)

The fifty-cents question is this:

What kind of hard-head would I be if I didn’t make use of any of the above?

But, let me tell you, one business person to another, there are definitely some things I DO mind. You guessed it: newsletters, ezines, online magazines, and email communications that taste like spam are one of them!

Just in case you don’t have a clue, let me clue you in . . .

Let Me Unsubscribe

I do mind not being able to easily UNsubscribe

• Don’t hide the link. Everyone knows it’s supposed to be there.
  • Don’t send the link to a landing page that takes more smarts to figure out than a kindergartner already possesses.
  • Don’t berate me, insult me, or otherwise try to make me feel bad because unsubscribing is what I want to do. (I’ve probably got a good reason, but even if I don’t, woulldn’t you say that’s my perogative?)

Get My Permission

Yes, I do mind signing up for ONE of your newsletters and you adding me to several others without my explicit permission.

The ONLY exception to this rule, in my book, is if I become your customer and you’ve set up a sensible system that removes me from your prospects list over to your exclusive customers’ list so that I’m not still offered the same thing I already bought!

Even so, it’s better to have me opt-in on the Thank You page. Just sayin’.

Your Friends Ain’t My Friends, Yet

I do mind you sharing my name and email with your good friend and busom buddy who has a great deal for YOUR subscribers.

Why don’t YOU share your good friend, busom buddy’s name and email with ME, so I can select whether or not I even want to hear from him?

I appreciate referrals. Just refer HIM to ME … I’ll take (or not take) the next step.

The Right After-Taste

Don’t leave the nasty taste of preprocessed, congealed spammy meat in the mouths of those who might contribute to your bread-and-butter. Because wouldn’t you rather that after-taste be more like the remembrance of a nice slice of Spanakopita?

This is the place where I give you some tips … but I won’t. Because you already know what to do, right? ‘Nuf said.

(Well, maybe not quite enough . . . Let’s hear your comments!)

Photo Credit: Slice of Greek Spanakopita by Stu Spivack (Flickr) via Wikimedia Commons

NOTE from GrowMap: With any luck we’ll be hearing much more from Vernessa Taylor. I’m asking her to share her vast knowledge of time-saving business optimization skills whenever she can make the time. Be sure to check out her blog for exceptional advice on topics such as why using autoresponse systems is an essential time-saver and income grower for local and small businesses. (More articles by Vernessa here on GrowMap.)

The following two tabs change content below.
Vernessa Taylor is a micro and small business champion -- helping professionals, solopreneurs and consultants choose and use automation and smart technologies to build and manage their businesses. A techie with a quirky sense of humor, she writes serious stuff at CoachNotes Blog. Connect with her on Google+ and Twitter.

Latest posts by Vernessa Taylor | CoachNotes Blog (see all)

Comments

1. I’m reminded of all the in-person conferences and meetings I’ve attended where there was one guy armed with a fistful of business cards in one hand and brochures in another. He works the crowd handing out his messages, BUY MY STUFF. The ground and trash cans were littered with his pushy message. My response is almost always the same, “Dude, I don’t even know you. I don’t want your card.” And when he asks for mine, the answer is ALWAYS, “NO!” Fact is, as entrepreneurs we want to attract people who love us and want to do business with us. We need to make it just as easy for people for walk away from us because they hate us as it is for people to find us because they love us. Good stuff, Vernessa!
    Randy Cantrell would love you to read .

2. Scanning your mass email letters before they go out, can reduce spam filters collecting your mail. If you avoid keywords that are taboo, and images that may be corrupted you can usually get through.

3. I feel the same with you. Be elegant – so the prospect will respect with the product on newsletter – I think is success key in email marketing. Thank you for your sharing..
    Nurit would love you to read ..Knowing the difference between asthma and bronchitisMy Profile

4. Being unable to easily locate the unsubscribe link is a big red flag in my book. If I can’t find it right away OR if it takes me to a complicated unsubscribe process I simply add a filter to delete it never to be seen again. My spam filters work fairly good, but they are by no means perfect and I do have to find myself using the email filter > delete option at least once a week.

It take some just a little time to figure out what proper email business etiquette is, while others are just good old fashion spammers. In either case, I think we are always going to have to deal with them (at least at a minimal level) as many other caveats that go along with the world of the internet. Kinda like the guy standing on center divider whike you at a stop light, with a sign that says “homeless, need food” and it is real obvious he’s not missing any meals….they’ll always be around…
    Michael would love you to read ..Groupon CloneMy Profile

5. William Moffitt says:

Email spamming is the worst. Nobody like’s it when you subsribe due to useful content and end up with garbage. Spamming drives your traffic out the door and while it may make you some money in the beginning it isn’t going to help in the long haul. This is a great read!
    William Moffitt would love you to read ..Finding your perfect niche!My Profile

6. I found the Unsubscribe link to often be there just for show. I click on it. Half the time it doesn’t lead to an unsubscribe page, it’s just the website staring me in the face. The other half i do enter my email and it says i unsubscribed successfully but the next minute i start getting mails from them again.
    My spam filters do catch most of these, but some mails that interest me end up in the spam and i have to check them out and dig them out of the pile of real spam that’s already in there. Kinda makes me tired.
    Martin would love you to read ..Getting your CDL and Having Insulin DiabetesMy Profile

• Vernessa Taylor
      Twitter:
      says:

Hi Martin,

Really, I know how you feel! That “make believe” unsubscribe link is a real deal killer. Within just the past few weeks I dropped a note to a well-known blog owner about his unsubscribe link not working. In this case, he was a bit embarrassed because no one had ever bothered to tell him it didn’t work. (Maybe I was the first ever to attempt to unsubscribe!) Anyway, it took him a little time to troubleshoot and get it working properly.

So, just to be fair, sometimes it’s a technical glitch. Of course, that’s not always the case, and the whole spam issue can be discouraging. But let’s make sure we do our part and don’t become part of the problem. That’s where our relief hangs out.

Thanks for your comment, Martin! :)
      Vernessa Taylor would love you to read ..How to Sell Your Product From Under Your AffiliatesMy Profile

7. kaspersky topshop says:

sometimes email marketing work great if you have quality subscriber. = )
    kaspersky topshop would love you to read ..Cheap Kaspersky Antivirus 2012 and Internet Security 2012 For SaleMy Profile

• Vernessa Taylor
      Twitter:
      says:

Sorry it took so long to respond to your comment, don’t know how I missed it!

Yes, quality subscribers are definitely one element of the equation. Treating them with the utmost respect, in addition to sharing something useful, rounds it out.

Thanks for commenting. Don’t forget to use your real name (and add your keywords after it) when leaving a comment. That separates you from the spammongers.
      Vernessa Taylor would love you to read ..Timers – Not Clocks – Make The World Go-RoundMy Profile

8. UK Business Directory says:

Email spamming is an issue and we need to take care of all aspects when shooting newsletters or any other publication.

9. Sergio Felix says:

Superb article and brilliant timing Vernessa! LOL

As I said on twitter, I’m subscribed to this guy who has sent me something like 60 or so emails and have received exactly 28 emails containing “[HOT WSO]” in the subject line.

I really don’t mind receiving this guy’s offerings because some of them have turned out to be really cool and cheap products.

But… I’ve been a bit confused here.

After the first ones, he was the author.

Then it was him and some other guy.

And now he’s NOT the author of the WSO’s at all.

But he DOES WRITE things like “I already bought mine, you should get yours now, it’s incredible!”

To me, that smells fishy and I’m really starting to hate his campaigns.

The only reason I haven’t unsubscribed yet is because I’m just checking upon what he does next but I have absolutely no intentions to buy anything from him at all.

Very cool article Vernessa, totally shared this! ;)

PS. I was highly tempted to tell him in the forum that I was sick of his subject lines but that’d make me an asshole so I behaved, did not do anything and just let it be.
    Sergio Felix would love you to read ..How I Got Rid Of Information OverloadMy Profile

• Hello Felix,

Thanks for sharing this experience. As awful is this has been for you, your sharing it makes it a learning experience for us, that is for those of us who manage a subscribers’ list and market products. (I truly hate this is happening to you.) I’ll bet you could safely unsubscribe without concerning yourself about what this guy will do next.

After taking such liberties with you and the rest of his precious subscribers, he might think it’s okay to take it some steps further. We have to be the ones to say, hey! no more.

Here’s a link to a discussion (still) happening on Warrior Forum about why the deliverability email sent by internet marketers is down. LOL Moan, moan, moan . . . I think it’s great! :)
      Vernessa would love you to read ..Trending- CommentLuv 29 Launch Starts NowMy Profile

10. Ray Higgins says:

Good blog! What people forget is that the people on the list you send broadcast email to are called “subscribers.” If you don’t market to acquire subscribers, but instead skip that and just start promoting your product, it really pisses most people off. You can’t “buy” a list of subscribers. They didn’t subscribe to YOU. Without exception everyone I have ever talked to who bought a list was unhappy. I don’t care how “qualified” the list, it still tastes like SPAM.
    Ray Higgins would love you to read ..Toxic Levels of DiscussionsMy Profile

• Hi Ray,

I’m glad you brought up this point. For sure, it’s a debatable topic.

There are some gurus who tell marketers to “buy” a list and not knowing any better, that’s exactly what they do, with disastrous results! Hopefully, they find the better path and learn the lessons early on.

Thanks for joining the discussion.

(On another note: Don’t forget to add CommentLuv and a “subscribe to comments” plugin to your blog, Ray. You’ve got some good stuff there; visitors will want to be notified so they can keep up with discussions. :) )
      Vernessa Taylor would love you to read ..Trending- CommentLuv 29 Launch Starts NowMy Profile

• Ray Higgins says:

I must be missing something. I’ve watched the second video twice now. Where do I sign up? Where’s the app? Is there a button I’m missing?
        Ray Higgins would love you to read ..Toxic Levels of DiscussionsMy Profile

• Hey Ray,

The videos are giving the backstory on CommentLuv development, an overview of the coming features, and sharing a bit about Andy (the creator).

To install the existing version . . . Just go into your WordPress admin dashboard, select the plugin setting, and do a search for “CommentLuv.” Install that version. When the NEW new new version is ready, you’ll get a notification in your dashboard. Also, if you want your commenter’s Twitter ID to show up along with their comments (like it does here), install the Twitter-Comments plugin, which is by the same dude.

Let me know if you need any help. To round out your process, follow @CommentLuv on Twitter for announcements.

• Ray Higgins says:

Aha! I must have fallen asleep during that part of the video. Thanks for the help. I can see why you are so popular!
            Ray Higgins would love you to read ..Toxic Levels of DiscussionsMy Profile

• Hey Ray – This reply isn’t under your last message because we’ve gone as deep (thread wise) as we can go in the comments, so I hope you see it!

Haha, no, you didn’t fall asleep! I’m not sure Andy mentions where to get the video. But no worries … Being a newcomer to CommentLuv, you might not know it’s already available as a plugin in the WordPress repository.

As for the other plugins I mentioned, you get them the same way. If you grab these, you’ll be in good shape: Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin, Simple Trackback Validation, Subscribe To Comments (by Mark Jaquith), Twitterlink Comments (Andy Bailey).

Also, you can continue to find out more about CommentLuv right here on Gail’s blog. (The GASP plugin above is named after her and she provides support for it.) Here’s her recent post on CommentLuv and there are other articles around.

11. Louis Cordero says:

I really enjoyed your article about email spamming. As a newbie to this interesting and most of the time frustrating genre, I really don’t have the answers to sharing a nice solo ad with the multitude of ezine subscribers. I really would like some advice since I really don’t like to spam the people who I am trying to share my wares with. Please enlighten us since I know I am not the only one that is curious.

Thanks in advance for your anticipated reply.

• Hi Louis,

When you speak of the “multitude of ezine subscribers,” whose subscribers are you referring to? If they are your own, then sending out a solo ad is as easy as creating a broadcast and dashing it off to them. However, if you don’t have a newsletter of your own, you’ll either have to create one (then get subscribers) or pay a fee to another list owner who might be willing to send out your ad.

Of course, my recommendation is that you create your own, craft some worthwhile content for your subscribers, and make sure not to do the offensive things listed in this post. Since gaining subscribers is based on relationship and trust, the first place to start? Get yourself a Gravatar (gravatar.com), connect up a real Twitter account, and sign up for an autoresponse system.

Here’s a resource for you: 10 Excellent Reasons to Create A Newsletter (Ezine) For Your Business This Year. Hope this has been helpful.
      Vernessa Taylor would love you to read ..All About The Suds- Business Development VideoMy Profile

12. tas murah says:

Its like most of paper brochure will end up in trash can.

13. Randy Cantrell says:

Randy Cantrell would love you to read ..Why Be In A Business You Must Always DefendMy Profile

• Hey Randy!

So glad you were able to visit and share a good story. What a wonderful illustration! I’ve tossed my share, too. :)

Making allowance for people’s choices is really a baseline for doing any kind of business, for any communication. There is really no room for “pushy,” is there?

Thanks for lending your insight, Randy.

14. Hi Vernessa!

So true all the points! Hate when I receive an ezine out-of-the-blue without permission and the worst part without a real unsubscribe button/link.

Apart of sending it to spam in most of the cases, if the email server is of trust like Aweber, Mailchimp, GetResponse, etc perhaps I click unsubscribe, but if not, is probably worst hitting that link because I’ll confirm my email address and then more Spam.

As you know as a tech-foodie – don’t like spammy food LOL, less in emails :)

Have a great week,

Gera
    Gera would love you to read ..Human Spam- From Genesis until It Hit YouMy Profile

• Hi Gera!

Haha, I’m with you on the no spam for tech-foodies. You’ve got an excellent point about not unsubscribing from untrusted services. That’s a good one, similar to what @melaniekissell said (below) about not unsubscribing from anything that’s already in the spam folder.

Since the other moniker for email marketing is “permission marketing” we should never receive ezines “out of the blue.” The good in all of this is we know what not to do, right?

Thanks for coming by Gera!

15. I’ve never actually tasted real spam, the food product. I don’t think I ever want to, but I hear it is good fried.

It’s interesting how they make some spam emails look like you sent them to yourself.
    Toby would love you to read ..Can I Really Fall in Love OnlineMy Profile

• Hi Toby,

Yes, these folk take the conventional wisdom and attempt to turn it around on us. Using good sp*m filters help make it a bit more pleasant to actually wade through our inboxes. Thanks for your input.

16. I am firmly in the “email newsletters are quickly becoming irrelevant” camp. If you can’t get out your message to your target audience through blogs, Twitter and Facebook feeds then you’re doing something wrong. Newsletters were a useful marketing ploy back in the dial-up days when people couldn’t stay online forever, but in today’s always online world e-mail newsletters seem antiquated.

• Hi Joe,

That’s certainly one way to look at it. All of the services and platforms you named are “public facing.” Depending upon what you do, or what business model you follow, you might not want all communications to be public. Social media activities are all about “in the now” so they don’t lend themselves so much to “over the long haul.”

Everything has its place. Newsletters, ezines, email marketing hasn’t gone the way of the dinosaur just yet.
      Vernessa would love you to read ..All About The Suds- Business Development VideoMy Profile

• Hi Vernessa,

There is nothing like validation from experts, which you are among the best! I sort of agreed Joe from San Diego for years. I got so many spammy “newsletters” that I quickly tired of deleting them all.

On the flip side, I wanted to make my own newsletters so awesome that … I never sent any out! LOL … Combined, the two issues made me feel that my energy was better spent on sharing my information on blogs.

However, as you said, Email Marketing is not quite ready for the La Brea Pits. If been reading the right sort of newsletters (finally!) and the best tip I received for doing my own is from Derek Halpern, who said, “Write each newsletter as if you were writing to a single person.”

I have spent a fair amount of time corresponding with clients from Guru.com and, ya know what? Those emails are informative, chatty and fun to write! After thinking about what Derek said, I realized that I can do this!

So, when you sign up for my future newsletter, I hope there’s a sweet after-taste! LOL

Thanks for sharing some reminders of what not to do. I’ll keep them firmly in mind!

Cheers,

Mitch
        Mitchell Allen would love you to read ..Farmer Bears Fruit at Article MarketsMy Profile

• Hey Mitch,

Derek’s tips are on point. Yes, newsletters serve a wonderful purpose — in the right hands. Things that immediately come to mind are sharing precious gems like you do with your clientele, a slow-drip training series (which gives appropriate time to digest or practice concepts), industry-insider information . . . The list goes on. :)

I’ll say it again: Neither the just-in-time nature of social media nor the repository of information contained in blogs displace the well-purposed, relevantly focused ezine.

Climbing off soapbox, standing in line . . . You’ve piqued my interest. I can’t wait to sign up for your newsletter because I know I’m in for a literary, motivational, and wisdom-filled treat!
          Vernessa would love you to read ..Timers – Not Clocks – Make The World Go-RoundMy Profile

17. Excellent article. One question – with social media are newsletters dying?
    Junk for one man though is useful for another man. Just watch the junk collectors.
    Melanie’s point about some mail is so valid. I unsubscribed from one site and got even more email. It now goes directly to my junk folder on Yahoo.
    My training though as a marketer said that junk is sometimes and indication of trends. So I watch cautiously and never spend a long time on any email. Yes I miss a lot but I have a general overview which keeps me aware if not up-to-date.

• Hi Roberta,

Your question is one that can be (and currently is) discussed and debated for a while to come.

One question – with social media are newsletters dying?

Just a couple of thoughts:

A well-written newsletter becomes a reference whether stored digitally or printed and added to a notebook whereas social media is “in the moment”

And while training can be done using social media (think your favorite #hashtagchats), the fluid nature of it doesn’t provide a way for participants to “hold on to it” whereas with a newsletter, training can be cumulative.

I’m hoping others will lend their own insights.

18. I thoroughly enjoyed this article Vernessa! Your expression and analogy is delightful! But it gets to the ‘meat and potatoes’ of what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to emails, offers, etc.

Your post should be part of a pre-training and then post-training for many online entrepreneurs that still feel they need to spam in order to succeed.

So I applaud you for this wonderful insight and will certainly be glad to share with my friends, followers and clients. Well said!
    Lynn Brown would love you to read ..Online Business Success – Starts With Building Your ListMy Profile

• Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the thumbs up!

The thing that flabbergasts me is that many of the bloggers who have newsletters have bought every book, read every post about how to create compelling content, how to position offers throughout the life of their newsletters, ad infinitum. So why put forth something that offends in the points mentioned above?

You are so right, training is the equalizer. Too much focus has been on what to do to get subscribers; not enough on how to keep them.

19. PLEASE don’t tell me that online spammers have found a way around it, because yesterday I got two e-mails, and they were both spams, but signed as a normal e-mail letter, i sertanly hope not, because if they have, we can kiss our inboxes goodbye and say hello to the massive spams, that will be flying in soon.
    John Gregory would love you to read ..THE BEST WAY TO GET TRAFFICMy Profile

20. Dennis Edell says:

As some mentioned above, I get a lot of the links that lead to other pages, and you have no idea if you’ve been unsubscribed or not.

The one that really irritates me though is when an error comes back saying the link is broken, please contact admin.

I dunno about other responders, but Aweber unsubscribe links don’t just “break”, they are full of crap.
    Dennis Edell would love you to read ..Do You Write Link Roundup PostsMy Profile

• Hi Dennis,

Broken links on the other end of your unsubscribe request is a sure indicator of dealing with a complete newbie (too eager to get to market), technical issues, or a real huckster.

I’ve run into a few of these but never with the name brand autoresponse services. If the link led off one of them, after a few times of trying to unsubscribe (spread over a few days just in case it was simply a case of technical issues), I would report the offending newsletter owner to the service. (Remember, the 3rd-party services invariably have a way to report abuse.)
      Vernessa would love you to read ..Diverse Venues- Guest Post at GrowMapMy Profile

21. John Cooper says:

Hi Everyone,
    After reading this interesting post I just thought that most of us receives spammy newsletters but does someone has ever considered that how our email address is subscribed to these newsletters.
    John Cooper would love you to read ..IBS BlogMy Profile

• Hi John,

In most cases, we are the ones who subscribe to them, with the exception being when the list owner adds you to another list he owns without first getting your permission.

• John Cooper says:

Hi Vernessa,
        I agree with that, most of the time we make this mistake. But one thing the list owner should avoid is that they should not use our email address without our permission.
        John Cooper would love you to read ..Dietary Tips for IBSMy Profile

• Hi John,

You are 200% right about that! I’ve encountered this numerous times. On at least one occasion, I’d purchased a product and was added to the customer mailing list (with my permission). Before long, I was receiving not one, but several different newsletters from this same company.

After a brief period of puzzlement (wondering when had I signed up to them), it finally dawned on me that I had NOT. I unsubscribed, sent a not-so-nice note, and returned their (almost useless) product.

For those of us who produce newsletters, we should remember that this is a big No-No.

22. I have to agree with you Vanessa. Anything that is done in a tasteful and careful way can pass through a spam filter. It maybe spam but if the content is good I would love to eat it. :)
    dian would love you to read ..Oct10My Profile

23. Hi Vernessa,

When I was in medical school, the cafeteria was rarely open when I managed to find time to grab a meal. So I resorted to eating spam (a little more often than my taste buds preferred). But, you know … spam is not too bad if you slice it up, fry it, and add a little barbeque sauce. :)

I want to mention a little “unsubscribe” tip a very brilliant IT specialist (my dear son-in-law) gave me. He advised me never to unsubscribe from anything that lands in my junk/spam folder.

Apparently, spammers are overjoyed when you do that — it’s a signal to them your email address is still “active”. It’s as if you’re giving them the green light and inviting them to send another bushel of spam your way. Plus they have a lot of spammer buddies they just love to share your address with. :(

I agree wholeheartedly with your philosophy here. The owners of ezines and newsletters (and the like) should make it very easy to remove yourself from their list. I am adamantly opposed to having to email the list owner or jump through hoops of any kind.

Wonderful post – thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Thanks,
    Melanie
    Melanie Kissell would love you to read ..Rainbow FartsMy Profile

• Hi Melanie,

That’s a tip worth knowing!

For sure, college days required some taste bud adjustments. I’ll bet canned spam is a lot more tasty than the distasteful tactics used to darken our days. :) Overwhelmingly, folk here agree that playing footsie with the unsubscribe link or button is a no-no.

Appreciate you lending your voice, Melanie!

24. Hey Vernessa,
    It’s hard with the marketing the way it is (trickier and trickier) to ascertain what it is before opening it up. I’ve subscribed to newsletters only to be nailed 2-3 times a day with product after product. I’m a bit more cautious now.
    Rob would love you to read ..My Interview With Blog Superstar BrankicaMy Profile

• Hey Rob,

Your point is well taken. Trying to be cautious is a bit like holding the envelope up to the light, attempting to read the contents without opening it up. No easy feat when we’re talking digital wrapping! :)

As I mentioned below, in addition to raising the bar on our own newsletter content, it’s time to let some of these e-zine producers know exactly why we’re not thrilled with what they’re sending us. In some cases, it just might do some good (see dissertation comment to Natalie Z below).

We can agree to try, can’t we?

25. Vernessa,
    This is so true. I do learn a lot from the newsletters I receive. That being said though, I sign up for the newsletter I want to receive. Having it easy to to be removed from the mailing list is important as well. I agree. Thanks :)
    Lynda would love you to read ..Discount for Weight Watchers Monthly PassMy Profile

26. I’m not really a fan of newsletter especially if I get 3-5 emails from them everyday. I can tolerate reading 2-3 emails a week, otherwise I unsubscribe. Good thing there’s a link. Nice post :)

• Welcome Jill,

Unless you knew you were signing up for a constant stream of emails, that could get old quick! It’s much more beneficial to the newsletter owner to make it known during the bid for your email address how frequently they’ll be publishing.

Hand-in-hand with that is the concept of respect for subscribers, which is akin to being a good guest when you visit someone else house (by not over-staying your welcome)!

Thanks for stopping by.

27. What a great post Vernessa, not only was it very entertaining it was full of informations as well, the good kind. You know it took me ages before I found out you could unsubscribe from this lists. I got so tired of some I actually spammed them. It wasn’t to later, after someone told me, that I knew you could unsubscribe :D Not really my fault though, they stick it right at the end, after a huge blank wall, where no-one will look for it.
    Sire would love you to read ..Welcome To Buy Online Lottery TicketsMy Profile

• Thanks for the compliment, Sire. :)

How could you know? Hiding that unsubscribe button might not be illegal but it borders on unethical. The best newsletters I’ve read will make it easy for you. Why? Because as you’ve said elsewhere, they’re desirous of quality — and only quality — subscribers.

• You are so right. I reckon it’s time a new breed of internet marketers is born, one that doesn’t start a list just for the sake of shoving affiliates down subscribers throats.
        Sire would love you to read ..The Secret To Online Success Is Passive IncomeMy Profile

• Hallo Sire,

I’m thinking some of them have already been born, and as babes who are looking for someone to show them the right way, our opportunity is here, before us.

Email marketing is not going away. It’s a wonderful avenue to share whatever message(s) that extend beyond the blog post. And there’s nothing wrong with riding that train to the bank, grocery store, daycare center. No one wants to deny anyone the opportunity to make or supplement an income.

So since we are the consumers (and sometimes the producers), we’ll have to make the changes.

28. It happens with many of us. Just to get people flocked to our site does not mean that we have to force them, instead we should impress them so that they come on their own. And yes the option to unsubscribe should be made available to all!
    Joshua would love you to read ..Plumbing Practice TestMy Profile

• Hi Joshua,

Not quite sure what you mean by forcing people to come to your site, however, I do agree we should suitably impress them such that they’ll want to return. If they’ve subscribed to your well-written newsletter, that can be the catalyst for getting them back again.

• Like if you keep on sending them mails, and you do not provide an unsubscribe link in the mail, what would they do, they’ll come to your website in search of that. Weren’t they forced?

I always advocate in favour of interactive content and social interaction, rather than cheap practices.

It was really nice hearing from you!

Regards
        Joshua would love you to read ..Plumbing Practice TestMy Profile

• Ah, Joshua, now I see what you mean by forced! You’re absolutely correct. I’m in total agreement with you. There are so many ways to engage people online, there is really no need to do anything that will leave them feeling unappreciated.

I continue to learn best practices for ongoing engagement from some of the best social media experts (like Gail here at GrowMap). Not many excuses, right? Thanks for coming back to clarify your point.

29. Lately I see many emails with no way to unsubscribe. I actually received an email last week with an unsubscribe link directed to a squeeze page and no way to unsubscribe. Thanks for a great, comprehensive guide – I hope your article is read by all the right people! :-)
    Ana would love you to read ..5 Lead Conversion Ideas To Turn Blog Traffic Into Cash MagicMy Profile

• Hey Ana, you’re one of the right people! :)

That was a dirty trick, wasn’t it? Never seen that one before, but it seems the less than stellar ezines will do anything to hang on to you. That ranks right up there with dumping your name into other lists without getting your permission.

Maybe such list owners should read your post about how to get legitimate traffic, eh?

30. I am using FeedBurner to delivery daily news for subscribers, it also look like spam ?
    Dana would love you to read ..computer issues please help My Profile

31. The used to make a big deal a number of years ago about making sure there is a unsubscribe. In recent years it doesn’t seem like people care as much or let it slide I guess. Sometimes even if you do unsubscribe they keep on rolling in anyway. The thing I really hate is if I subscribe to something I really do not want 5-10+ per day. If they start filling my in box faster than I can read and/or delete them I usually unsubscribe. Sometimes within a couple of days. I don’t mind getting some just do not fill my inbox with them.
    Ray would love you to read ..Cloud online storageMy Profile

32. Vernessa,
    Spam is the biggest time waster of all time. I hate it and I resent the intrusion into my time. There have been times where I have been so frustrated trying to unsubscribe that I’ve just permanently relegated them to either my junk email folder or directly to delete.
    Sherryl Perry would love you to read ..Can Bloggers Learn a Lesson From Watching American IdolMy Profile

• I’m with you Sherryl. It really is a violation.

The interesting thing is we’re not talking about unsolicited email. We’re talking about newsletters we’ve subscribed to after, no doubt, determining the owners were worth hearing (further). If they are the offenders, what’s to be expected from those with whom we would never share our email addresses?

So, it’s time for some house cleaning amongst the ranks. Time for due diligence in content, technique, and respect. :D

33. I am working on starting a newsletter for my blog, so I have been paying attention to what I do and do not like about the ones that I receive. Let me unsubscribe is important. There is one newsletter I signed up for by accident when commenting on their blog. Their newsletter arrives several times a week (at least) and at the bottom states if you feel like this is spam send me a reply email letting me know. To me that is not the way to encourage readers. Just let me click a button.
    Natalie Z would love you to read ..salsacraving 25 Wal-Mart giftcard to taste @SalsaSensations for yourself!My Profile

• Hi Natalie,

You must have read my mind! Due diligence does start with learning how to do it right. I’m so glad you’ve chosen that route. (It’ll save you some unsubscribes down the road.)

Hiding the link, sending to landing pages, now requesting an email are all contrary to how we really want subscribers to feel. Perhaps you should drop this list owner a note and say what you think about such a request. (In all fairness, sometimes people just don’t know any better.)

I’m not sure how you’d feel about doing that, but I can share a recent experience with you. I’m on the newsletter list of a well-known product aimed at bloggers. These guys didn’t have an unsubscribe link in the email — any where! Because they email me day after day, I decided to just unsubscribe. Not happening.

I wrote them a sharp, pull out the stops email about it, then went over to the business site and left a comment to the same effect. The latest email I received now has an _______ link! (you guessed it!)

34. Dennis Edell says:

An easy unsubscribe, not just important, not just good to see, but also the LAW…it’s my understanding the FTC can get pretty grumpy at certain violators.
    Dennis Edell would love you to read ..Do You Write Link Roundup PostsMy Profile

35. Excellent points. It’s often hard to separate the useful email from the useless.

36. One thing I really hate is getting an obviously unsolicited email ad, or newsletter, or whatever, and right at the top is the phrase, “If you feel you’ve received this by mistake, please unsubscribe here.” On the plus side, the unsubscribe link is front and center, but since the message was unsolicited anyway, you really have nothing to unsubscribe to!
    Amy would love you to read ..Using Biologics To Control Psoriasis – Be CarefulMy Profile

37. I am agree with “Let Me Unsubscribe”, it is very important!
    Jack would love you to read ..Is My Web hosting Really UnlimitedMy Profile

• Hi Jack,

Yes, that’s one of the biggest offenders! I really appreciate an easy way to unsubscribe. What’s nice, too, is one of the pages that says, “Ooops! did you really mean to unsubscribe. If not …” (I’ve done that before too, unsubscribed by accident.)

Either way, the point is simplicity and ease for your newsletter readers. Thanks for commenting!