Update June 9, 2013 There will be a new Kickstarter campaign kicking off soon. Go to StayboyLock.com to get details.
What Jim most needs to get this product to market is pre-purchases. I know people want instant gratification, but patience is often a virtue.
Dog theft is apparently a larger epidemic than I ever knew. With the AKC telling him that his product is a winner and knowing the stats, Jim @StayBoyLock launched an IndieGoGo campaign.
And as I have repeatedly shared with my readers, things do NOT go viral simply because they’re great ideas with appeal to a large audience.
Unless you have a huge group behind you,
there must be a PLAN to make it go viral!
I previously explained why viral does NOT “just happen” in these two posts:
- Viral Marketing: Using Viral Social Media to Create Viral Content ~ Drive Actions, Conversions, CrowdFunding
- How YouTube Can Be Used for Viral Marketing
We can learn from what Jim does what works – and what doesn’t. His first IndieGoGo campaign quickly fell off the launch page and was buried so deep few ever saw it.
My post Stop Dog Theft From Breaking Hearts: Crowdfunding for Startup with Patented Idea to Prevent Thefts was not able to increase activity on that campaign.
VIRAL MARKETING PLAN
Prior to launching his second attempt, here is what he has done:
- Tied the new IndieGoGo campaign into National Pet Theft Awareness Week (this week)
- Lined up dog bloggers to publish about it
- Joined the BlogPaws community and friended many top dog bloggers there
- Published a Press Release about StayBoy Lock (through PR Web) – released today March 20, 2013
Here’s the Bad News, though.
Even with all these major players interested,
Without public support willing to take action there could be no StayBoy Locks (but Jim says he’ll sell his house to make it happen)!
Dog Lovers have to be willing to support the crowdfunding by Prepurchasing a StayBoy Lock or donating at least $1
Even $1 can help because it keeps the campaign near the top
where more people will see it! Comments help, too.
PROMOTION RESULTS SO FAR
- AKC (American Kennel Club) has agreed to mention StayBoy Lock on their AKC Facebook page that has 121,034 likes on it.
- AKC is featuring StayBoy Lock in their Summer Gear Issue of AKC Family Dog magazine
- As Seen on TV contacted Jim because of the PRWeb press release. He has a contract to have StayBoy Lock profiled in their spots.
- Media Corp contacted Jim because of the PRWeb press release. They plan to feature StayBoy Lock in TV spots.
- Multiple bloggers have committed to doing posts this week.
Jim has to raise $45,000 or there can be no TV spots or AKC magazine
spread. That is what manufacturing will cost. He WILL make it happen,
but wouldn’t it be great if we could get dog lovers to pre-purchase or donate to make sure there will be plenty of stock?
Be Part of the Solution >> Donate to or Pre-Purchase a StayBoy Lock
MORE WORK IN PROGRESS
- Jim has hired Gary from TrendingPhones to get the Press Release and a request for coverage to all the members of the previously mentioned BlogPaws community plus many other dog blogs. (Gary works with me and does social media, blogging and small business related projects as an independent consultant.)
- Jim continues to follow up with bloggers and media.
- Keep the IndieGoGo campaign updated with breaking news about dog theft and updates on the progress of the fundraising.
- Add links to the Press Release and blog posts to existing related pages and posts.
Can you help? Besides supporting the IndieGoGo Campaign you can share what is going on with dog lovers and dog bloggers so
more people will see it. But most of all they have to ACT!
MORE IDEAS TO TRY
- AKC also has a AKC Family Dog Facebook page (and others). Reaching out to additional page managers could increase exposure.
- AKC has other publications. Using the AKC Magazines page, contact other editors.
- Find dog bloggers on social networks and interact with them to get additional exposure.
- Find dog related boards on pinterest and pin information about StayBoy Lock there using the most compelling or cute images.
- Look for dog related communities on Google+ to spread the word about dog theft and this preventive product.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Here are ways my readers can help (and learn what works and what doesn’t so when you want to promote something you will have experience).
- Share the IndieGoGo campaign on social networks. Mention it on Facebook or G+ or repin it on Pinterest.
- Donate if you can. I suspect that donations count the most, so even $1 could help keep the campaign featured until more people buy.
- Blog about StayBoy Lock – especially if you have a dog or animal related blog.
Do you have any additional ideas? Please share them in the comments.
Latest posts by Gail Gardner (see all)
- Why Going Back to College to Learn Digital Marketing Is For Dinosaurs [Train in 6 Weeks; Get an iPAD Mini4] - October 5, 2016
- ClickMeeting Provides a Creative and Simple Webinar Solution - September 23, 2016
- Simplilearn Digital Marketing Training: Get Qualified Now for High Paying In-Demand Jobs - August 5, 2016